Search the Neighborhood Archive

      

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A memorable handshake.

Among the many episodes, publications, photographs, and recordings that will be included as a part of this collective effort to archive "all things Mister Rogers," a true archive of Fred Rogers' legacy would not be complete without first hand accounts from readers like you of how his work has affected your lives. With that in mind, I hope you'll enjoy this account provided by Neighbor Kevin detailing his brief meeting with Mister Rogers when he was a child:

I actually did have the honor of meeting Fred Rogers in March of 2002. I was at my cousin's house in Latrobe, Pennsylvania for Easter. Fred Rogers' childhood home is actually down the street from my cousin's house in Latrobe. Anyway, one of Mister Rogers' childhood friends had just passed away, who happened to be my cousin's neighbor. I went with my cousins to the First Presbyterian Church of Latrobe for the memorial service. Fred Rogers gave a eulogy and my cousin and I were fortunate enough to meet Mister Rogers afterwords and shake hands with him. I was only thirteen years old at the time but it is something I will remember for my entire life. The world was a better place with Fred Rogers in it. He will be missed.

Kevin was also kind enough to pass along a great resource for fans of Johnny Costa. Take a look at an extensive website dedicated to the work of Johnny Costa found at http://www.johnnycosta.com/welcome.htm.

No comments: