Search the Neighborhood Archive

      

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

1979-2001 Collection

I know nobody likes the kid who gets something cool and then shows it off to everybody, but I have to show this off...

I've had a complete set of the "modern" episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood for quite some time. Luckily, I started recording them off TV a few years before PBS cut back the weekly broadcasts. I had just enough time to record a majority of the episodes and was lucky enough to come across the ones I missed through other means. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I couldn't handle the fact that these episodes were recorded but not organized and in some sort of order. So a few months back, I ripped each of the episodes from the discs they were on and re-authored a new DVD for each weekly series. Thanks to the handy work of our friend Eric, I had a cool background to use for the DVD menues and my final products looked something like this:

But again, having these recorded in order was not enough for me. I needed to have them easily accessible and clearly labeled. The next step was to create case inserts. From other projects I have worked with, I have a ridiculous amount of empty jewel cases on hand so I decided to use those instead of typical DVD cases. I also decided against creating inserts for the front of each case at this time and focused my attention on the tray inserts. Using one of my favorite images of Fred Rogers, as well as his comments about each week's topic, I created a decent looking insert for each week's disc. Finally, this week, my project is complete...

Now if only we could get ahold of all of the pre-1979 stuff. If only...

8 comments:

Neighbor Guy said...

They look fantastic!

How do you find out the original airdate for each episode? Do you use an online episode guide?

Lawrence Martin aka llcoolmartin26 said...

This is great did you make different covers for each week I have made a few labels myself on dvd's thanks tim for this blog I like that the kid is still in you even if you are a father of two hope you have a great day
your neighbor
Lawrence

TL said...

Guy...those dates I've gotten from a few different places. Mainly from TV.com -- although much of the information on there is user-supplied, it tends to be a very reliable site.

Eric Scales said...

Tim, that's awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim its Jen! These are very well made especially the covers. If only we all could get more pre-79s shows. In particular stuff from 1968-1972 even i have quite a gap to fill in there. Thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Now if only FCI would do something like that.

Anonymous said...

It's about time! One day FCI should do something similar.Until then...!

Lance said...

I hope my 1979-2001 collection can look like that only with all of the light blue DVD cases that the FRC is using for their amazon.com manufacture on demand titles. They only have 16 out of the 61 complete week themes so far :/